Double Espresso Chocolate Cake with Cappuccino Froth
PREP: 30 MINUTES
COOK: 45 MINUTES
SERVINGS: 8 SERVINGS
- 1/2 cup Boiling Water
- 1/4 cup Instant Dry Espresso Powder
- 1 cup Cold Water
- 1/2 cup Coffee Liquor
- 1 cup Softened Butter
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 4 Room temperature Eggs
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 5 ounces Cooled Unsweetened Chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 cup Whipping Cream
- 2 tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Espresso Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Bars Ghirardelli Intense Dark Espresso Escape Chocolate Bars Broken into small pieces
- 1/3 Softened Butter
- 1 tablespoon Light Corn Syrup
- 1/3 cup Sifted and Divided Sweetened Cocoa Powder
- 16 Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans
* For coffee liquor, can use Frangelico, Kahlua, Irish Cream or Starbuck Coffee Liquor.
** Can also use favorite brand of espresso chocolate
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In medium bowl, pour boiling water over ¼ cup dry espresso powder; stir to dissolve; stir in cold water and liquor, set aside.
In a large bowl, using a hand held mixer, cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs one at a time. Beat in extract and chocolate. Sprinkle with salt and baking soda and 1/3 of the flour. Beat on low to blend. Slowly pour in 1/3 of the liquid and continue beating. Repeat to add all the flour and liquid. Pour batter into well-buttered Nordic Ware Anniversary Bundt pan, dusted lightly with flour.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until cake when tested near the center comes out clean and dry. Do not overbake. Cool on wire rack 15 minutes; invert and remove Bundt pan. Cool on wire rack for one hour.
While cooling, make cappuccino froth by simply whipping cream with powdered sugar; using an electric hand held mixer, in a large bowl until stiff. Beat in espresso and extract. Chill until serving.
In a small saucepan, combine espresso chocolate, butter and corn syrup. Heat over medium heat, stirring until mixture is smooth. Remove from heat and cool.
Dust cake and dessert plates lightly with sweetened cocoa powder; drizzle cake with dark chocolate espresso glaze in an attractive pattern over the cake. Fill center with cappuccino froth. Dust with sweetened cocoa powder. Slice cake and serve with a dollop of cappuccino froth. Garnish with a chocolate covered espresso bean.