Being sustainable is not a fad or trend at Nordic Ware; it is something we've been practicing for many years.
Let’s face it: we live in a world where it’s necessary to read labels and make sure that what we’re buying is safe for ourselves and our families. This is especially true when it comes to products that that come in contact with the food we eat. While some level of comfort can be discerned from looking at the country of origin or seeing what material a product is made from, the curious consumer is still left with many questions:
- Was this product produced with any regard to environmental impact?
- Did the manufacturer adhere to federal environmental regulations? Better yet, were there any regulations in place in the item’s country of origin?
- Were fair labor practices employed? Were health benefits and fair wages given, and was child labor forbidden?
- Did the factory have any safety procedures for its employees to keep them out of harm’s way?
- How closely was this product supervised during its production ? Can I be certain no substitute ingredients were used to make it beyond what is labeled?
- How far did this product have to travel before it got to the store I found it in?
Sustainability is something we take seriously at Nordic Ware, and we believe the term reaches far beyond what a product is made from and whether it can be recycled or not. We pride ourselves on taking an all-encompassing approach to sustainability, and base many of our company decisions around whether or not something will help us be viable and significant for many years to come.
Meeting and exceeding US environmental regulations for air and water, using BPA-free and melamine-free materials in our products, and using nonstick coatings that are water-based rather than solvent-based are just a handful of the ways that Nordic Ware participates in being sustainable. We are able to focus our close attention on each and every product coming out of our factory as it is made, since our corporate headquarters are located at the same facility in which our US-made products are produced. Our employees enjoy fair wages, a generous benefit program, on-the-job training, and above all else pride in the quality and sustainability of the products they produce.”
We believe reducing our eco-footprint is an important step to take for sustainability. Because we produce the vast majority of our products in America, it’s easy to see they travel a significantly shorter distance than a product coming from overseas. A shorter distance traveled equates to a smaller carbon footprint for the products that come into your home.
The little things we do each day throughout our factory add up in the long run to create a noticeable difference, and keep us on course to be a fully sustainable business:
- Nordic Ware has been awarded the Green Business designation by our city and is a member of Minnesota WasteWise.
- Energy-efficient lighting and heating systems are installed throughout our facility.
- Our factory and manufacturing ovens are heated with natural gas, the cleanest of conventional fuels available.
- We practice energy conservation by reducing energy usage in all forms when areas of a facility are not in use.
- Nordic Ware consistently exceeds US federal, state and local standards for wastewater, solid waste treatment, and waste disposal.
- We request no idling of trucks at our shipping docks to reduce air emissions.
- Obsolete or “second” quality products are donated to local charities rather than thrown away.
- We recycle many tons of aluminum and steel scrap each year from our factory. We have recycled metal since the company’s early days because it’s always made economic sense to do so.
- We give our factory employees time daily for stretching exercises to prevent repetitive stress injuries.
- Nordic Ware devotes a plot of land on our grounds to fruit trees and organic gardening, and we’ve donated harvests to our local food shelf for many years. We maintain honeybee hives there too with the assistance of the University of Minnesota Bee Squad.