PREP: 45 MINUTES
COOK: 1 HOUR
SERVINGS: 6 SERVINGS
You are not logged in! Login or create an account here to save recipes.
- 1/ 2 teaspoon crushed saffron threads
- 1 pound mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 12-15 large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 6 whole baby octopus
- *salt and pepper to taste
- 1/ 2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/ 2 pound fresh chorizo sausage, casing removed
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounce can peeled San Marzano or Roma tomatoes, drained and diced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 cup frozen or fresh green peas
- 6 cups chicken of fish stock
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/ 2 cups short-grain rice (Arborio or bomba work well)
- 2 sweet red bell peppers, roasted and sliced into strips
- 1 dozen littleneck clams
- 1/ 4 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1/ 2 fresh lemon
This paella recipe can be easily adapted to accommodate personal tastes as well as whatever types of fresh meat and seafood you have available. Chicken makes a great substitute for any seafood ingredients you choose to leave out.
Put saffron and ¼ cup hot water in a small bowl; let stand for 15 minutes. Heat oil in paella pan over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and chorizo and cook, turning occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a plate, leaving chorizo in pan. Add paprika, garlic, tomatoes, peas and onions to pan and cook, stirring often, until onions soften, about 6 minutes. Add reserved saffron mixture, wine, and stock, and bring to a boil over high heat.
Sprinkle in rice, distribute evenly with a spoon, and add roasted peppers. Cook, without stirring, until rice has absorbed most of the liquid, 12-15 minutes. Reduce heat to low, and nestle in your clams and mussels hinge side down. Cook without stirring until clams have opened and rice has absorbed the liquid and is al dente, 5–10 minutes more. Add in reserved shrimp and nestle baby octopus into paella mixture. Heat pan on high for 3-4 minutes to create a crusty bottom layer on the rice if desired. Remove pan from heat, cover with aluminum foil, and let sit for 5 minutes before enjoying. Garnish with parsley and a squeeze of lemon before serving.
Read Recipe Reviews
This recipe doesn't have any reviews yet. Try it out and let us know what you think!