Barbecued Smoked Shrimp
PREP: 30 MINUTES
COOK: 15 MINUTES
SERVINGS: 4 SERVINGS
- 2 pounds peeled, deveined jumbo shrimp, rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Barbecue Sauce:
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 scallions trimmed, white and green parts thinly sliced crosswise (keep white and green parts separate)
- 1/ 4 cup cognac
- 1/ 4 cup beer
- 1/ 4 cup favorite barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, +more to taste
- 1/ 3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- salt and pepper
- Hickory or other smoking wood
Place the shrimp in a large bowl, sprinkle with Cajun seasoning, and stir to mix. Stir in the butter.
Set up the Nordic Ware smoker according to the manufacturer’s instructions, using 2 tablespoons of hickory sawdust to generate smoke. Arrange the shrimp on the smoker rack. Smoke over medium heat until cooked, 10 to 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the barbecue sauce: Melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the scallion greens, then add the remaining scallions to the skillet and sauté, stirring with a wooden spoon, until just beginning to brown, 3 minutes. Add the cognac and beer and boil until reduced by half. Add the barbecue sauce, Worcestershire, lemon juice, and brown sugar, and boil for 1 minute. Add the cream, the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, and the hot sauce and boil until thick and richly flavored, 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and more sugar if a sweeter sauce is desired; the sauce should be highly seasoned.
Transfer the smoked shrimp from the smoker to the pan with the barbecue sauce. Sprinkle with the reserved scallion greens. Serve with grilled bread.
Read Recipe Reviews
This recipe doesn't have any reviews yet. Try it out and let us know what you think!