Apple Cake Recipe
PREP: 30 MINUTES
COOK: 45 MINUTES
SERVINGS: 6 SERVINGS
- 1 1/ 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/ 4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/ 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/ 4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/ 4 cup butter (at room temperature)
- 1/ 2 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/ 4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and sliced or cubed 1/4 inch thick
- 1/ 2 cup Red Currant preserves
- 1/ 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/ 2 cups powdered sugar
- Add a few drops of red food coloring for a redder hue
For cake, first preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl, whisk together, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. In a separate large bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, vanilla and eggs. Whisk until smooth. Gently fold in the yogurt until evenly mixed. Next, gradually whisk in dry ingredients just until combined. It is important to not over mix. Using a rubber spatula, by hand, fold in apples. Spoon the batter into the 5 cup nonstick Apple pans ¾ full and bake until a tester inserted in cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool in pan on rack for 5 to 10 minutes; remove from pan and place onto rack to cool completely.
When the cakes are cool, return halves to the pan. With a serrated knife, gently saw the excess cake that rose above the edge of the pan. This ensures a nice smooth fit between top and bottom halves. Stack top of apple cake on top of bottom layer and secure using a little glaze or frosting between layers. Dust the cake in a cinnamon sugar mixture, using a sieve to sprinkle desired amount or pour a red currant glaze over top of cake.
For the red currant glaze, heat the 1/2 cup of red currant preserves in a small saucepan (or the microwave) until it thins. Then, whisk in the powdered sugar and lemon juice until thick and smooth. Spoon over the cake.
Read Recipe Reviews
This recipe doesn't have any reviews yet. Try it out and let us know what you think!