Sustainable Business Practices at Nordic Ware
Being green is not a fad or trend at Nordic Ware; it is something we've been practicing for many years. We firmly believe that sustainability is no longer an option; rather, it is a requirement.
Nordic Ware has received Green recognition awards from both our city and state for being leaders in reducing the environmental impact that businesses have on their community. Because we do our manufacturing in America, we are able to carefully monitor and control the materials and the processes we use, creating the smallest eco-footprint possible, while companies producing overseas may not even know what goes into their products.
Nordic Ware takes pride in having sustainable business practices and making continual improvements to our manufacturing processes each year. Consumers can be confident that our products are made in the USA under fair labor practices and meet or surpass stringent US environmental standards. We believe these are just a few more reasons that consumers prefer our products.
Coils of steel and aluminum are purchased in precise widths and gauges for each of our products to produce the smallest amount of scrap possible during the manufacturing process.
We design our packaging to use minimal raw material, all of which is constructed out of recycled paper and cardboard. Our packaging does not contain any heavy-metal based inks, and we encourage consumers to recycle whenever possible. We recycle more than 100 tons of paper and corrugate annually.
The coatings we use have been developed to meet or exceed stringent US air quality regulations. Most of our coatings clean up with water, reducing solvent usage.
Our industrial washers use special low-temperature alkaline soap, reducing natural gas usage to heat water. Additionally, we've reduced water usage by recirculating the water in our washing systems for use again and again.
Pallets are reused many times in our factory, and we rebuild or recycle them if they are damaged.
We strive to minimize the amount of scrap produced when making each of our products. This is what is left after a formed Bundt pan is made, which then is sent to an Aluminum recycling facility.
In 2007 alone, we recycled over 400,000 pounds of aluminum! We even recycle the tiniest bits of scrap, right down to the aluminum shavings produced by smoothing out the rough edges on castings.
Aluminum is one of the easier metals to recycle, so we are able to melt down damaged castings to reduce waste. Nordic Ware sells aluminum scrap directly back to the mill we purchase our materials from.
PFOAs have been reduced or eliminated from our kitchenware coatings. We insist that our coatings suppliers only provide us with PFOA-free coatings when developing new formulas.
Our coatings and finishes do not contain any heavy metals, something that not all of our competitors can claim.
Rather than disposing in a landfill, Nordic Ware sends rags, used oils and absorbents offsite for energy recovery through incineration-the more environmentally-responsible option.
Other Important Facts
The little things we do each day add up in the long run to create a noticeable difference!
- Nordic Ware has been awarded the Green Business designation by our city the past three consecutive years and was recently featured on the news for our efforts in reducing our environmental impact
- Following Energy Star recommendations, we have installed energy-efficient lighting throughout our facility
- We heat our factory and process our products using natural gas, the cleanest of conventional fuels available
- We practice energy conservation by reducing energy usage in all forms when areas of a facility are not in use. Heating systems have been updated with high efficiency equipment
- Nordic Ware consistently exceeds US federal, state and local standards for wastewater, solid waste treatment, and disposal
- We request no idling of trucks at our shipping docks to reduce air emissions
- Obsolete or "second" quality products are donated to local charities rather than thrown away