Jeweled Wild Rice
PREP: 10 MINUTES
COOK: 30 MINUTES
SERVINGS: 5 - 6 SERVINGS
Add this wonderful rendition of a Midwest classic to your Thanksgiving menu! The tart cherry and almond flavors adds a delicious touch to this Jeweled Wild Rice side dish.
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups good quality authentic wild rice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup leeks (white and light green portion) , thinly sliced
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- Juice of one small lemon
- 1 cup shelled and cooked edamame
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds or pecans
Bring rice and stock to a boil in a large pot. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 25-45 minutes until fully cooked and rice has opened and softened. Cooking times may vary depending on rice variety, so check periodically. Rice may require draining if there is excess water once cooking has completed.
In a skillet, sauté celery, leeks and mushrooms in olive oil until tender. Add the veggies to the cooked rice and mix in salt, soy sauce, lemon, edamame, cherries and nuts. Serve warm, as a side dish. Also delicious as a lunch entree, served with sliced chicken or turkey.
Read Recipe Reviews
This recipe doesn't have any reviews yet. Try it out and let us know what you think!