French-Style Beef Stew
PREP: 30 MINUTES
COOK: 2 HOURS 30 MINUTES
SERVINGS: 6 - 8 SERVINGS
- 1 leek leaf
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 3 sprigs of parsley
- 6-inch cooking twine
- 4 Tbsp canola or cooking oil of choice
- 3 lbs. beef stew meat
- 2 slices bacon, chopped into ¼ inch pieces
- 1 medium white onion, chopped (2 cups when chopped)
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large russet potato, diced into ½ inch cubes (4 cups when cubed)
- 2 parsnips, chopped ½ inch pieces (2 cups when chopped)
- 2 carrots, chopped ½ inch pieces (2 cups when chopped)
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms of choice
- 4 cups low sodium beef stock
- 2 cups merlot wine
- 3 Tbsp tapioca starch or cornstarch
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- Bread for serving
Bouquet garni is a bundle of herbs, tied together and added to the soup. To create a bouquet garni, bunch the leek, bay leaves, thyme and parsley together and tie them with cooking twine. Set it aside.
To sear the meat, add 2 tablespoons of oil to a large stock pot. While the oil is heating, remove any extra moisture on the meat by dabbing with a paper towel. Add the stew meat in batches, half at a time and sear it until it turns brown on all sides. Remove from the pot and set it aside.
Add the remaining oil and let it heat again. Add bacon and sauté’ until cooked. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until translucent. Add the potatoes, parsnips and carrots, sauté until the potatoes start to brown around the edges. Add the mushrooms and sauté for an additional 2 minutes. Add the beef back into the pot, along with the beef stock, wine, bouquet garni, tapioca starch, salt and pepper. Stir the mixture thoroughly to ensure the tapioca starch has completely dissolved and there are no clumps left.
Set the flame on medium low and cook for 2 hours until the beef is fork tender. Serve alongside your favorite bread.