PREP: 30 MINUTES
COOK: 1 HOUR 10 MINUTES
SERVINGS: 8 SERVINGS
- Pie Crust *makes top and bottom (2 crusts)
- 2 1/ 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/ 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- Pie Filling
- 2 pounds fresh or frozen cherries
- 1/ 2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice and zest of one lemon
- 1 large egg yolk, beaten with 1 tbsp. water for egg wash
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar for sprinkling
- Flour for rolling dough
Crust: In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar and salt. Cut the butter into flour mixture using a pastry cutter or two untensils. The texture should resemble small peas or a corse cornmeal. Add the water and mix with a fork until the dough begins to form. Transfer dough to floured work service and pat the dough into a ball. Cut dough into two equal parts and flatten into disks. Sprinkle flour onto each dough disk and roll out 1/8 inch in thickness. End result, two 12 inch pie crusts.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Gently fit one crust into 9 inch pie pan. In a large bowl, mix together cherries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and zest. Toss until cherries are fully coated. Pour into prepared crust.
Using the star pie top cutter. gently push cutter into pie crust and remove. Place dough over filling and trim edges. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Bake for 60-70 minutes.
Read Recipe Reviews
This recipe doesn't have any reviews yet. Try it out and let us know what you think!